Welcome to the monthly newsletter from Rock Spring Civic Association. We hope to provide timely and interesting news items affecting our community.
1. We’ve heard from the County’s Department of Environmental Services that the median on Williamsburg Boulevard between 33rd Road and 35th Street is currently undergoing some utility work which should be completed by mid-October. Then, next spring they will begin construction on new median curbs, improved intersections and two rain gardens between 33rd and 34th Roads. For information, go to http://projects.arlingtonva.us/projects/williamsburg-boulevard-green-street/
2. To learn about all of the County projects projected for RSCA, plan to attend the RSCA Annual Meeting on Thursday, October 30 at Williamsburg Middle School to hear from the County Engineer (Awwad). The meeting agenda also includes a debate between the County Board candidates (Howze and Vihstadt), and an update of the plan for Fire Station #8 by the Fire Chief (Schwartz).
3. The August Community Update explaining the progress of the New Elementary School #1 with pictures is available at http://www.apsva.us/Page/24844
4. Did you know that Virginia now has a law requiring that you provide at least 3 feet of clearance between your car and a bicyclist when you are passing? http://www.vabike.org/three-foot-passing-law-in-virginia-begins-july-1/
5. Have you been to a Yorktown football game yet? There are only 2 home games left, October 2 and October 31. For Yorktown sports schedules, see http://www.yorktownsports.org
6. Public Land for Public Good is the County’s process to balance public priorities (schools, parks, open space, facilities and public housing) and construction projects on County-held land. The County is looking for citizen feedback for their Public Land Site Evaluation Guidelines. http://projects.arlingtonva.us/plans-studies/land-use/public-land/
7. Interested in giving and/or getting?
8. County events calendar: http://www.arlington.k12.va.us/Page/12418. Additional County information can be found on the main webpage of the newly revised Arlington website: http://www.arlingtonva.us/.