Welcome to RSCA’s monthly newsletter. We hope to provide timely and interesting news items affecting our community.
1. Free outdoor movies in Arlington this summer! Check out the outdoor movies scheduled in 3 different locations around the county each week – Fridays in Rosslyn, http://www.rosslynva.org/do/outdoor-film-fest; Mondays in Crystal City, http://crystalcity.org/do/crystal-screen-in-flight; and Saturdays at Penrose Square on Columbia Pike http://www.columbia-pike.org/?page_id=3661. See the websites the movies and directions.
2. Arlington Affordable Housing Study community open houses. Share your feedback at one of three community houses (July 25, 27 or 28) in locations throughout the County. If you can’t attend an open house, take the online survey at http://housing.arlingtonva.us/affordable-housing-study between July 25 and August 1. In September 2015, the County Board will consider adoption of the Affordable Housing Master Plan.
3. Spraygrounds: The County has 4 “Spraygrounds” to help children stay cool and have fun during the summer. They’re located at Drew Park, Hayes Park, Lyon Village Park, and Virginia Highlands Park. The hours of operation for each location, directions, parking and other details: http://parks.arlingtonva.us/parksfacilities/spraygrounds.
4. Don’t miss the annual Arlington County Fair, scheduled for Aug. 5-9 this year. Young and old will enjoy the midway rides and games, entertainment, vendors, exhibits, racing piglets, and more. Each year Thomas Jefferson Community Center is transformed into a special place with something for everyone to see. Admission is free, and shuttle service is provided from locations throughout Arlington. See http://arlingtoncountyfair.us for complete information.
5. See the new issue of Arlington County’s 55+ Guide for complete information on classes, fitness facilities, sports, services, special events, etc. at http://parks.arlingtonva.us/programs/adults-55/seniors-activities.
6. Wednesdays in the Garden, August 5, 12, 19, and 26, 7 to 9 p.m., Arlington Central Library, 1015 N. Quincy St., Arlington 22201. This series of indoor and outdoor programs, taught by Arlington Food Assistance Center volunteers and VCE Master Gardeners, is designed to teach gardening skills to a wide audience. No registration required. See the Arlington Library Events Calendar at http://library.arlingtonva.us or call the library at 703-228-5990.
7. Meeting reminders: