1. Median Update: In the next two to three weeks (weather permitting), the County is planning to begin removing trees from the medians between 33rd Rd N and 35th St N that otherwise would not survive planned construction associated with the Williamsburg Boulevard Green Street project (http://projects.arlingtonva.us/projects/williamsburg-boulevard-green-street/) . The saved trees will be transplanted to another public site within the County. New canopy trees will be planted between 34th Road North and 35th Street North. The two new rain gardens between 33rd Road North and 34th Road North will be planted with small trees, shrubs and perennials. Construction of the Williamsburg project is still anticipated for summer 2015.
2. Discovery Elementary School: The latest Community Update about Discovery Elementary School can be found on the APS web site. Community Updates
And, Discovery now has its own web site with school information, including kindergarten registration. Discovery Elementary School
3. Nextdoor Rock Spring, a private social media service, seems to be going gang busters. If you are interested in seeing what your neighbors are discussing, sign up. You can set the guidelines to receive all postings just once a day.
4. The WMS Drama Club musical will be Fiddler on the Roof Jr. Performances are Thursday, March 19th and Friday, March 20th 2015 at 7pm. A Saturday, March 21st matinee will begin at 1:30 pm. All performances will be in the WMS Auditorium. Ticket prices will be $5 adults, $3 students and $1 seniors and tickets will only be sold at the door.
Arlington Babe Ruth: Registration is open now for girls and boys ages 4-12 through the website www.arlingtonbaberuth.com Register by Feb. 28. Practices will begin in early March and games will begin in early April.
Arlington Little League: Registration is open for ages 4-12. See the Little League website for more about levels and even umpire training.
Arlington Soccer Association: Registration is underway. See the ASA web site for information.
Arlington Youth Lacrosse Club: Registration for boys and girls is open. See the AYLC web site.
6. Arlington Home Show and Garden Expo. Saturday, March 7, 10 am to 5 pm. The Home Show is a convenient way to learn about remodeling and improving your home from a wide variety of top-rated companies. There will also be information on gardening for wildlife, improving your soil, how to replace your lawn with a garden, growing your own vegetables, and organic lawn care. Thomas Jefferson Community Center, 3501 2nd Street S., Arlington 22204.