The Rock Spring Civic Association Executive Board wishes you a Very Happy Holiday Season.
1. During their 11/18 meeting, School Superintendent Murphy made the following recommendation to the School Board about middle school seats:
2. If you haven’t already heard, the new elementary school, formerly known as NES#1 is now officially Discovery Elementary School. The most recent construction update can be found at http://www.apsva.us/Page/24844
3. APS School Talk sign-up: If you are not a parent/guardian of an APS student, but would still like to receive information about APS, neighborhood schools and various programs, you can sign up for APS School Talk by visiting https://apsva1.bbcportal.com/. You will be able to create an account for yourself and sign up to receive information on whatever schools or special interest lists you choose.
4. Did you know that The Lee Highway Alliance, a group of 15 civic associations along the Lee Highway corridor, is working on what can be improved along Lee Highway? Look for more information here in the New Year. www.leehighwayalliance.com
5. Are you a 60 or older Arlington resident? You qualify for an Arlington Schools Senior Citizen Events Card which can be used for free admission to APS music, drama, athletic or other events sponsored by APS! High school winter sports and arts programs have begun – Yorktown http://yorktownsports.org/ and http://www.arlington.k12.va.us/domain/4715 Williamsburg: http://www.arlington.k12.va.us/Page/8308 Get your free Events Card by calling APS staff member, Claudia Mercado at 703-228-6005, or email Claudia at email@example.com.
6. Nominate your favorite Park volunteer! Arlington County is now accepting nominations for the Bill Thomas Outstanding Park Service Volunteer Award. This award was established to pay tribute to lifelong parks volunteer Bill Thomas. http://news.arlingtonva.us/releases/media-alert:-wanted:-nominations-of-outstanding-park-service-volunteers
7. Opportunity for Arlington Teens to Travel to Germany! The Arlington-Aachen HS Exchange Info meeting is Jan. 14, 2015, 7:30 pm at Central Library Auditorium on Quincy St. The meeting is for students, teachers, parents, and community members. Tentative Trip Dates: June 20-July 8, 2015. Application forms at www.arlingtonsistercity.com due 2-20-2015.