This newsletter is produced by Rock Spring Civic Association for the residents of the Rock Spring neighborhood..
1. Introduction to Non-Profits: On occasion, the newsletter will provide information about some of the Arlington non-profits that may not be familiar to you. This month our spotlight is on Arlington Thrive. Andrew Schneider is the Executive Director and the organization provides emergency funds for neighbors who are in crisis. Recipients must be an Arlington resident and have an emergency financial need. Listen to what Andrew has to say and take a look at their web site. http://arlingtonthrive.org/
Thrive Audio is located at the bottom of this newsletter.
2. Retiring Yorktown HS principal: Ray Pasi, has announced his retirement and the process to select a new principal has begun. A search committee that includes APS staff, administrators, parents and a student will participate in the process and an online APS feedback form will be available to community members for input from March 13- 27. Sign up for APS School Talk at https://apsva1.bbcportal.com/ to receive the notice on a link to the form when it’s available and sign up to receive other APS information.
APS also invites community input on school options for future elementary, middle, and high schools. See http://survey.k12insight.com/survey.aspx?k=SsSRTVsWWYsPsPsP&lang=0&data= to share your input. Other opportunities for community input in APS initiatives and planning are available at their website. https://www.apsva.us/engage/.
3. Tackling Big Needs Within Arlington's Limited Space: Invitation to RoundtablesJoin the Joint Facilities Advisory Commission (JFAC) members for a small interactive roundtable discussion about the unique opportunities that Arlington County has to acquire new land, and the tough questions that JFAC is tackling over the next six months. Arlington has limited space for urgent needs such as schools, parks, recreational facilities, and essential operational and support services like school and ART bus parking equipment and storage, and contractor staging. Registration is free and required. Due to limited space, we ask that participants register for only one roundtable, to allow everyone interested the opportunity to participate.
During the roundtables, participants will have the opportunity to help inform JFAC on their recommendations to the County and School Boards, including specific tasks related to the Buck property on N. Quincy Street, a related potential land exchange involving property on Shirlington Road, and the Virginia Hospital Center's Carlin Springs/Lee Highway/16th St. North sites.
Register NOW to Attend a Roundtable
Note: Please share this message with others in your network who may be interested.
4. Help Design the New Lubber Run Community Center: Nearly 200 kids, teens, adults and senior adults kicked off the new Lubber Run Community Center design work session in February. Come see what we learned and help us move forward with the building design on Wed., March 22, 6:30 – 9 p.m. or Sat., March 25, 1 – 3:30 p.m. at Barrett Elementary School. (Childcare offered around Saturday’s meeting.) Please feel free to share this information. Learn more and sign up for project updates at the Lubber Run Community Center Project webpage.
6. Arlington County Public Health is also looking for your input as they plan for the future. See https://health.arlingtonva.us/destination-2027-survey/ for a five-minute survey to share your thoughts on health issues and help the County learn how to best improve the health of our community.
7. Come Dance With Us! Join us on Sat., March 18, 10 a.m. - noon at Walter Reed Community Center for Dance Fitness Fun. Learn some new, fun dance moves from a NuYou Wellness Zumba instructor then, cool down while making a post-workout snack with our expert nutrition educator. Open to ages 5 & up. $8 per person. Register here using Activity #730017.
To contact the newsletter editors for information or items to share, please email either Judy Hadden, firstname.lastname@example.org or Joan Trabandt, email@example.com.