1. Lee Highway Alliance in 2017: a community planning process is set to begin in 2017 to determine the look and feel of Lee Highway from Rosslyn to East Falls Church. Stay tuned to the following web sites to learn more about the project scope and see what is planned for our close-by Lee Harrison intersection. https://projects.arlingtonva.us/plans-studies/land-use/lee-highway/ and http://www.leehighwayalliance.com/
2. WMS Field Lighting Update:
The Williamsburg Field Evaluation Work Group (WFWG) met on Nov. 16th (see minutes and future meeting dates at https://parks.arlingtonva.us/projects/williamsburg-workgroup/agendas/). WFWG presentations were also made to the County Planning Commission and the Commission’s Long Range Planning Committee, and presentations will also be made to the Parks and Recreation and Sports Commissions during Dec. In January there will be a WFWG work session with the County Board and a final WFWG report to the Board in Feb. More details and specific meeting dates will be included in the Jan. newsletter, but until then, see the WFWG website at https://parks.arlingtonva.us/projects/williamsburg-workgroup/ for the most recent updates and information.
3. Civic Federation: general meeting: Tuesday, December 6, 2016 at 7:00pm at Hazel
Conference Center, Virginia Hospital Center.
Please attend if you are interested in any of the following agenda items.
4. Farmer’s Markets: Although the Marymount Farmer’s Market is now closed, there are still several markets open year round.
· Arlington Farmers Market: Arlington County Courthouse parking lot, North Courthouse Road and North 14th Street, Saturdays, 9 a.m.-noon (Jan. 2-April 9), Saturdays, 8 a.m.-noon (April 18-Dec. 26)
· Columbia Pike Farmers Market: Columbia Pike and South Walter Reed Drive
Sundays, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. (year-round)
· Westover Farmers Market: Westover Library, 1644 North McKinley Road
Sundays, 8 a.m.-noon (May-November), Sundays, 9.a.m.-1 p.m. (December-April)
5. Holiday Shopping
The Holiday Market will have over 25 local and renowned vendors who will be offering a full variety of unique and high quality gifts plus there will be music, food trucks and a host of other activities. See the website for a schedule of events: http://www.rosslynva.org/do/rosslyn-holiday-market
Join us for live music, face painting, children’s crafts and holiday science experiments,
$5 items at children’s fair help animals, pediatric patients, local kids in need and much more!
Shop online at http://www.giftsthatgivehope.org
Top quality handmade crafts and original art. See http:www.forsith.com for times and more information.
6. Enjoy December concerts at our neighborhood schools:
Celebrate the December holidays by attending a concert at one of our neighborhood schools. Discovery Elementary’s Winter Choir Concert will be held on Wednesday, December 14th at 6 pm. The Williamsburg Middle School Winter Band Concert is scheduled for Thurs., December 15th, at 7pm, in the auditorium. Yorktown’s Band Concert will be held in the YHS auditorium on Monday, December 12th, at 7pm; the Choral and Guitar Concert will be held in the auditorium on Tuesday, December 13th at 7pm; and the Yorktown Orchestra Concert will be held in the auditorium on Wednesday, December 14th at 7pm.
7. County Emergency Closing, Delay and Cancellation Information: It is getting to that time of the year when inclement weather may cause some closing of County facilities. For specific department information see the County website: https://emergency.arlingtonva.us/closings-delays-cancellations/ and/or you can register for Arlington Alerts, to receive emergency information on your cell phone or by email. https://member.everbridge.net/index/1332612387832024#/signup
8. Arlington Today website:
See Arlington Today, on the County website, at https://today.arlingtonva.us for a day-by-day listing of Arlington events and activities. Find everything, for all ages, from events and programs for children and teens, to arts, fitness, language, social, County events and more for Arlington adults. Search by what interests you, or look at all that’s available for a particular day or period of time.
9. NextDoor: Are you in need of a plumber, a dog walker, a bridge partner? Take a look at NextDoor, a social media site for the Rock Spring neighborhood. Many of your neighbors (479 to date) are actively posting requests for recommendations, suggestions, free giveaways and items for sale. When you go to the site for the first time, you put in your address and choose Rock Spring as your neighborhood. You may also choose other neighborhoods for a wider span of information. Join the fun. Nextdoor.com
10. Leaf Collection, 2nd and last pass for Rock Spring: December 13-15
To contact the newsletter editors for information or items to share, please email either Judy Hadden email@example.com or Joan Trabandt, firstname.lastname@example.org