With construction about to begin on the new elementary school at the WMS campus, the APS project manager issued the following update. Any questions concerning the project should be directed to him.
Just a short note to update you on project progress since our last correspondence:
- The School Board approved the general contract for SIGAL Construction and the overall project budget at the 3/6 School Board meeting.
- We had a project pre-construction meeting with SIGAL on 3/13.
- We executed the contract with SIGAL on 3/14.
- We issued Notice to Proceed to SIGAL for mobilization onsite on 3/24.
- We expect to have our building permit issued tomorrow, 3/27.
- We had our 1st construction progress meeting with SIGAL yesterday, 3/25.
- During the progress meeting, SIGAL noted that they would be mobilizing onsite early the week of 3/31, with the perimeter construction fence, construction trailers, and Erosion & Sediment controls being the 1st orders of business.
- As a result of community and school input, we have reached out to the Arlington County Police Department (ACPD), asking for additional crossing guards. ACPD has agreed to provide an additional guard at the intersection of N Harrison St and 36th St N, in addition to the guard that is already stationed at the intersection of N Harrison St and Williamsburg Blvd. In addition, ACPD will review other nearby intersections once the pedestrian traffic patterns change due to construction to determine if additional guards are needed.
- We have set up a meeting with the K of C, GC, and APS to start up the off-site construction worker parking. This meeting will take place next week.
- Our next monthly construction update, to be issued in early April, will contain details on the approved Maintenance of Traffic (MOT) Plan for the site during construction that has been approved by the county as part of the permitting process. Those of you that attended the Community pre-construction meeting will be familiar with the MOT as we presented several slides that addressed the plan.
Senior Project Manager, Design and Construction Services
Arlington Public Schools
2770 S. Taylor St.
Arlington, VA 22206